With over 70 percent of 911 calls today being placed from wireless phones, E911 has become a vital feature of the North American telephone network 911 emergency-calling system. With the FCC cracking down on E911 (the commission is working to mandate the delivery of location data for 40 percent of cellphone calls by 2017 and 80 percent by 2021), chances are E911 will soon become a top priority within your organization if it isn’t already.
To this end, here’s a quick list of 10 need-to-know features for maximizing your E911 service:
- On-Net number addition/registration (numbers from your current carrier)
- Off-Net number addition/registration (numbers from other carriers)
- E911 information editing/updating for any phone number
- E911 DID grouping; keep your DIDs organized and, by doing so, easily gain access to data that can help you more accurately track your business. Our Titanium III Groups feature, for example, offers a visual display of the amount of DIDs you have in each group, as well as information pertaining to fees, call frequency and alerts.
- E911 group assigning to any end user client
- Provisioned location map display for increased visibility
- Automatic E911 alerting; be automatically notified of when emergency services are contacted with an E911 registered DID so that you can immediately know when an emergency occurs and act accordingly.
- Robust E911 APIs
- Comprehensive reporting; whether you want to see what DIDs were used to call 911, when 911 was dialed, what E911 DIDs you’ve assigned to specific groups or how many rogue calls were made, you can view comprehensive reports of your E911 service based on such variables as usage, history, costs, and revenue.
- Real-time E911 monitoring; monitor on client, group or DID levels
E911 is a necessity for ensuring the long-term sustainability of your business. When you partner with a VoIP service provider, keep in mind how your carrier of choice will support your ability to make emergency phones calls with robust E911 features.
Another necessity? These ITEXPO passes. Grab 'em before they're gone!