Yvonne Hart is a tech blogger from Australia. Her knowledge about consumer technology is backed up by 8 years working as a marketing professional in an I.T. distribution company. She now works as a consultant for Compare Broadband.
A lot of people have never come across the term VoIP before; this is kind of strange considering that almost everyone using the internet and smart phones is already using this service. Voice over Internet Protocol, also known as VoIP, works by taking analog audio signals then turning these into digital data to be thrown across the internet.
Is this service useful? That is an affirmative since the VoIP service utilizes the standard internet connection to enjoy free phone calls. Why is this useful? In terms of practicality, VoIP service has completely moved around the charges that phone companies offer for the same services that VoIP has. However, with VoIP services, one needs a stable internet connection. Finding the best service provider can be done with sound internet comparison.
Before deciding which service provider to sign up for or which plan to choose, it is essential for one to fully understand how the VoIP service works. Since its innovation, major telecommunication companies have already started to incorporate the service. There are three ways to utilize the VoIP service.
- ATA – This is one of the easiest ways to use the service. The ATA or the analog telephone adaptor allows the standard or plain old telephone to connect to the internet connection making it possible to use the internet connection. Basically the device converts analog data into digital data.
- IP Phones – These look exactly like normal phones however instead of the RJ-11 phone connectors that old phones have, these have RJ-45 Ethernet connectors like the ones used for the routers. For the phone to be able take on IP calls it must be connected to the internet, calls can even be made while on a Wi-Fi hot spot.
- Computer-to-computer – Experts say this is the best and the easiest way to utilize the VoIP service. Imagine speaking to someone who is a thousand miles away without having to pay for long distance calls. This is the strong point of VoIP.
Internet Comparison for VoIP
Now, for VoIP to work, a stable internet connection is necessary. Here are some tips to find the best internet service and plan for your needs.
- Check out the overall plan. Be sure to make a list of the services and speed you want. This includes local or long distance calling and the duration of the calls.
- Consider your budget, never go past your allocated amount and continuously filter service providers and plans out there.
- Ask about hidden charges like setup fees and long distance rates. The best plans are ones with unlimited long distance options. This is an essential check box if you are a regular long distance caller.
- Read user reviews for the service provider and internet connection plans. Do not rely solely on feedback from the company’s websites. Browse for forums talking about the speed and stability of the internet service you are considering, and narrow your internet comparison list from there.
These are just some of the guidelines that will be useful when you are considering acquiring VoIP services.